Dear Schools, Please Stop Discriminating Based on Pregnancy. Thanks, Title IX
Imagine you’re an honors student at a community college. You’re doing great: you’ve got a merit-based scholarship and you’re enjoying your classes. You’re also pregnant and excited to welcome the new addition to your family.
Being the conscientious student that you are, you approach your professors as soon as classes start, tell them that you’re due near the end of the semester, and ask that if you miss any tests due to a pregnancy-related absence you be allowed to make them up. You even offer to provide a doctor’s note. Three of your professors congratulate you, and tell you that of course this won’t be a problem.
But one of your professors says she will not excuse any such leave or allow work missed to be made up, even if it’s a labor and delivery emergency. She will not reconsider this policy “just because you find it inconvenient.” You’ll just have to deal with it or drop the class.
Sheesh, okay, fine, this professor is being unreasonable. But surely when you appeal to the administration — including the dean — they’ll intervene and tell the professor to reverse her decision, right?
In fact, though, the dean tells you that each professor gets to set his or her own leave and make-up rules, regardless of what those rules are. And if you don’t like it, you’ll have to drop the class.
You feel defeated, so you do it. You drop the class. And because dropping the class disqualified you from your scholarship program, you withdraw from that too.
This all could have been prevented if the school had complied with Title IX, the civil rights law that prohibits sex discrimination in education.
- wargoddessivy likes this
- chiaroko likes this
- farwaaaaaaa reblogged this from seriouslyamerica
- wrench-wench reblogged this from lilacblossoms and added:
- whirls likes this
- wrench-wench likes this
- notunlikethecomet reblogged this from rhrealitycheck
- thepersonalispolitic reblogged this from sanityscraps
- bexgoesrawr reblogged this from zombieber-wartooth
- educationworld likes this
- typefaces-and-airships reblogged this from sgntpepper
- sgntpepper reblogged this from rhrealitycheck
- knittingandsljivovica reblogged this from youbestnotmiss
- yaxxen likes this
- poesizing likes this
- faeriefay likes this
- thepajmahal reblogged this from seriouslyamerica
- kitanaash reblogged this from zombieber-wartooth
- gahmani likes this
- ladylaetitialade reblogged this from sanityscraps
- This was featured in #Education
- ohyousaucyminx reblogged this from youbestnotmiss
- earthshaker1217 reblogged this from knowledgeequalsblackpower
- zombieber-wartooth reblogged this from elkian
- starkidinvasion reblogged this from knowledgeequalsblackpower
- starkidinvasion likes this
- rigor-mortis-the-actor likes this
- missmokushiroku reblogged this from sanityscraps
- elkian reblogged this from youbestnotmiss
- mothsfreakmeout reblogged this from youbestnotmiss
- herbeautifuljourney likes this
- hellyeahangels reblogged this from kuzuryeah
- petchicken reblogged this from sanityscraps
- petchicken likes this
- domesticcatextraordinaire likes this
- whoreofbabyl0n likes this
- iamnotawitch likes this
- herbavorodo likes this
- asdfjlkdlkjas likes this
- sweetdreamr likes this
- youbestnotmiss reblogged this from insidethemindofamormon
- notaluallen reblogged this from seriouslyamerica
- afrobelllla reblogged this from knowledgeequalsblackpower
- afrobelllla likes this
- wi0uxe likes this
- shambledrambles reblogged this from seriouslyamerica
- helmhammerhand likes this
- crazysexycool13 likes this
- younggiftedafricanqueen reblogged this from knowledgeequalsblackpower
- joydelvivrey reblogged this from knowledgeequalsblackpower